Potato salad is always a summertime favorite. But how about if we kick it up a couple of notches and build a tasty Twice Baked Potato Casserole fully loaded with all of your favorite fixings? This hearty recipe was sent in from Sun City resident Linda Smith, and it’s a rock star side dish that she’s been making for years. Linda includes it in all of her special gatherings.
“I had a humongous four-day bash where friends and family from Omaha, Kansas City, Tucson and the Valley partied hearty on the fourth of July. My Twice Baked Casserole is always a hit because it’s so much easier to make than traditional stuffed baked potatoes. And it feeds a crowd. I always serve it with some type of beef.”
The minute you start building this sassy side, you can see why it gets devoured. It starts with the sweetness of cubed red potatoes and then layered with chopped crisp bacon, sour cream, cheese and green chiles with a burst of colorful scallions. Linda says she doesn’t often have leftovers to enjoy the next day, but it’s just as tasty if you’re lucky enough to save a little! This recipe can be made ahead and frozen (baked or unbaked) and re-heated when ready to use. Thanks Linda, for a great dish! I made a giant casserole of your Twice Baked Potatoes for a gathering recently and you’re right. Leftovers are hard to come by.
- 6 medium to large red potatoes, scrubbed and diced into one-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 24 ounce container Light Sour Cream
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Cut baked potatoes into one-inch cubes. In a bowl, mix together potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Place on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown. Remove from oven. Place half of the potatoes in casserole dish. Sprinkle half of the bacon over potatoes. Then layer half of the sour cream, mozzarella, cheddar and green chiles. Repeat layers. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Sprinkle with scallions. Serving Size: 6-8.