There are two things I absolutely love–a great recipe and great neighbors.
When the two come together, life is pretty awesome! It happened this week when my sweet neighbor, Deborah Alyea saw me pull up to the driveway, and scurried over with a beautiful baking dish of bountiful goodness right out of the oven. “I wanted you to have it while it’s still piping hot and bubbling!” Deborah has just baked the most amazing Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and I was the lucky recipient. I’m not sure I should admit this, but I texted her a picture of her baking dish just several hours later. It was scraped clean except for maybe one more serving. Yes, it was that good. I’m not sure who came up with the combination of strawberries and rhubarb, but thank you, whoever you are! Rhubarb season is incredibly short and right now is the peak of it, so I’m so happy to pass along this delicious dish to you right now, while you can still find those long red stalks. The filling is wonderful with either a pie crust topping or cobbler, and I was ecstatic that Deborah chose the latter. I love that rich crumble topping with the sweet fruit below. So, if you love Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, this is the recipe to try! And if you have a neighbor as wonderful as Deborah Alyea, maybe make an extra and make someone’s Day!
Watch my How to Video for Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler here!
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced in half
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb cut into 1-inch pieces (4-5 large stalks)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick cooking but not instant)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, diced and chilled (12 tablespoons)
- Whipped Cream, Cool Whip or Vanilla ice cream for topping