If you love main dish salads, this is one to try! The tasty fixins’ like chopped crispy bacon, hard boiled eggs and candied pecans all add to this hearty plateful of goodness, but I think it’s the dressing that really makes the meal! The sweet and tangy mixture in this dressing is a family favorite and one that we’ve used on spinach salads for years! I’ve changed things up a bit for this bountiful meal. I’ve added spring mix to the spinach greens, and I’ve accompanied the greens with a beautifully pan-grilled Flat Iron steak, cooked medium rare and sliced into strips. If you prefer grilled chicken on the side, it will be just as delicious! Secret! There is one important tip in tossing this salad. Add the dressing at the very last minute, right before you’re ready to serve it up. Also, instead of pouring the dressing directly over the greens, spoon the dressing along the inside of the bowl and let the dressing ooze down the sides. Then, give it a gentle toss. This is to keep the greens from getting soggy. If you decide that you don’t want to make this salad a main dish, it makes a savory side salad for just about any entrée. Make up a double or even triple batch of this liquid gold dressing, refrigerate, and then you’ll have it on hand for the next couple of few weeks!
Watch my How To Video for Steak Salad with Dijon Dressing here!
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed whole
- 1 - 1 1/2 bags fresh spinach or Spring mix, washed and dried (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 pound crispy bacon, chopped fine (4-6 pieces)
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1 cup candied pecan
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- steak of your choice, cooked and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (important to use a good extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Salad:
For the Salad Dressing:
- Prepare salad dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, brown sugar, lemon juice, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and garlic until well blended. Set aside. In a large bowl, add spinach or spring mix, crisp bacon, eggs, pecans, salt and pepper. Reserve some eggs, bacon and pecans for garnish. Drizzle dressing around the side of the bowl (so leaves doesn't get soggy) then gently mix. Serve on chilled salad plates and top with egg and spinach for garnish. Lay slices of steak over the salad and serve immediately.