Every family has “The One.” The one recipe that someone is known for; the recipe that shows up at family pot-lucks, parties and special occasions because it’s everyone’s favorite. In fact, you wouldn’t think of not bringing it because people would never forgive you. Skip’s Rice Salad is “The One” in the Noe Family. Phoenix resident Shana Noe shares this most delightful salad passed down from her mom Edie “Skip” Noe. It starts with a chilled Chicken Rice A Roni base and comes alive with marinated artichoke hearts and a hint of curry. It has always been the favorite summertime salad in the Noe family and here Shana shares some great memories: “This is my Mom Edie’s rice salad recipe and it is my “if-you-could-only-eat-one-thing-forever-what-would-it-be” pick. We generally had this in the summer with ribs, hamburgers, or barbecue chicken. Pops would barbecue and Mom would make up all the other things. This was our favorite salad for her to make. Each time we have it now it reminds me of when Mom would triple or quadruple the recipe when there was a house full of people and we would swim all day long. When Mom and Dad moved to Alaska and Pops worked on the Pipeline, they started a tradition. All the new guys were invited over and Mom would put together a dinner party for them. Her motto was “no one should ever have to eat alone” and she carried this on throughout her life. I treasure this recipe for the memories I have of Mom and I started sharing it a few years back because I guess I felt like I was sharing Mom a bit.” Thank you, Shana, for sharing the recipe! For a great side that’s super simple, savory and perfect for a family meal or a big crowd this one’s a Noe brainer!
- 1 box Chicken Rice-A-Roni
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 8 pimento stuffed green olives, sliced thin
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (do not omit!)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Cook rice as directed on package. Remove from heat, pour into a medium size mixing bowl and cool to room temperature. When cooled, add chopped onions, pepper and olives. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving the marinade to a bowl. Combine the marinade with curry and mayonnaise and blend well. Add dressing to rice mixture. Add artichokes and gently mix. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled; several hours or overnight. Makes 6-8 servings.