I got this recipe from a fun cookbook that was put together back in 1999 by the nurses in the Labor and Delivery Unit at Maricopa Medical Center. It’s called Cravings Beyond Pickles and Ice Cream. These great gals filled the cookbook with all of their family favorite dishes and then used the proceeds from the cookbook to buy bottled water for their unit. But they only printed 300 copies or I would have begged for one!
I got to borrow it though, and have used tons of their recipes.
So this sandwich was created by Charlotte Lopez and it’s called the Dijon Ham and Swiss Meal. Super easy to make, or make ahead and freeze! You can probably use the ready-made bread or pizza dough available in most stores like Sprouts, Whole Foods or AJ’s.
Also, if you’re not a fan of ham, you can use turkey or any other fixings for the filling! Let me know how you like it!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- teaspoon ½salt
- 2 packages rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1.5 cup cooked ham chopped
- 1.5 cup swiss cheese shredded or chopped
- 1/2 cup dill pickles chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- Set aside 1 cup of flour. In a medium bowl, combine remaining flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water, mustard and butter to about 125 degrees. Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture. Add enough flour to combine ingredients and knead to make dough.