Whoa! This recipe was the surprise of the century! I admit, I initially had the same reaction that most people have when I tell them about Crunchy Dill Pickle Salad. The comments range from “Hmmm, not sure about this one” to “Nah, this just doesn’t sound right.” But once they taste it, and realize how many foods this delicious, refreshing salad goes with, it quickly becomes one of their favorites. Crunchy Dill Pickle Salad was a recipe that I turned into a video for Red Mountain Weight Loss. It’s the perfect salad if you’re trying to get and stay fit, but more than that, it’s a crunchy and flavorful addition to just about every dish from fried chicken, seafood, pork, beef and kabobs, to a great topper for hot dogs and brats! I love this salad so much that I can’t wait to share it with you and I’m hoping you have the same reaction that everyone else does! The Crunchy Pickle Salad has just a few readily available ingredients, and the real stars of the salad are crispy pickles, fresh dill and sliced fresh fennel. I like that it has fennel for several reasons. While there are hundreds of recipes using cooked fennel, it’s harder to find dishes using fresh, thin slices of this versatile bulb. The sweet flavor of fennel gives the salad such a unique flavor, and the crunchy dill pickles are the perfect pairing. Also, fresh dill weed goes so well in the salad, adding more brightness and depth. You may be tempted to use a soggier pickle and dried dill, but don’t! These two ingredients make the recipe! It’s the perfect picnic side as it doesn’t wilt and can be stored and enjoyed for 3 or 4 days after assembling! I mentioned that this salad goes well with kabobs, so I’ve added a very simple and low calorie recipe for you to enjoy with your Crunchy Dill Pickle Salad!
Watch my How to Video for Crunchy Dill Pickle Salad here!
- 4 whole crunchy pickles (halved and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons pickle brine from the jar of pickles
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 small white or sweet yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 large fennel bulb (outer layers removed and sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 steak
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow and orange)
- 1 red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Crunchy Dill Pickle Salad:
For the Kebabs:
- Combine all ingredients and enjoy chilled.
- Cut the chicken and/or steak into once inch cubes. Cut the peppers and onion into 1-2 inch pieces. Skewer the meat, poultry and vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through.