One of the best ways to infuse grilled or skillet chicken is by marinating it first. Often, recipes call for marinating the chicken for 6 hours or overnight. But with this savory Southwestern dish, one hour will do the trick! If you’re looking for a light, satisfying meal with tons of flavor but low on calories, this Southwest Chicken Salsa Lettuce Wrap recipe is for you! It starts with skinless, boneless chicken thighs. You could use chicken breasts if you prefer, but the thighs are super moist and flavorful. They get marinated in a simple combination of citrus, spices, garlic and a little olive oil. The result is a subtle south of the border flavor. More bright flavor is added when you combine the ingredients for a refreshing salsa with a delightful mixture of jalapeno, mango, tomato, cilantro, red onion and lime juice! We’re forgoing the tortillas for this dish (although this combination is fantastic filling for either corn or flour tortillas.) Instead, Bib lettuce, also known as Butter lettuce, makes for a healthful, lighter version of a Mexican favorite! Make sure the lettuce leaves are large enough to fill with this wonderful combination of marinated and grilled chicken and salsa! Light, healthful and delicious. That’s my kind of meal anytime!
Watch my How To Video For Chicken Salsa Lettuce Wraps Here!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (about one large lime)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2` teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Marinade:
For the Salsa:
- Wash and pat the chicken thighs dry. Place in a shallow glass baking dish. In a bowl, add oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt, whisking to combine. Pour over chicken thighs and let marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Make the salsa. In a bowl combine the jalapeno, tomato, red onion, mango, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix gently and refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sear the chicken thighs on both sides until golden, charred, and cooked through, an internal temperature is 165 degrees. Transfer cooked chicken thighs to a cutting board to cool. Slice the chicken into strips. Assemble the wraps. Clean and separate the lettuce leaves. Place them on a platter. Spoon salsa over the top. Add sliced chicken and top with a little more salsa. Serve immediately.